Saturday, 2 April 2011

Gordon Ramsey's Spicy Chinese Pork Belly




I used a recipe from my Gordon Ramsay World Kitchen book, which has been rather unloved on my shelves for long enough.  I didn't have the right sugar, dried whole red chillies, or the two different soy sauces, so my ingredients are as follows:

450g belly pork
sprinkling of sugar
6 tbsp light soy sauce
3cm knob of fresh ginger, grated
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 large red chilli
water
6 spring onions



Basically you simmer the pork belly for 4 mins, then take it out of the water, leave to cool and cut into 2cm chunks (ish - lots of mine were around 4 cm...).


The recipe called for heating the oil in the pan then adding the sugar - but I forgot, so I heated the oil, added the chilli, added the pork (skin side down) and fried that off for a bit, then remembered the sugar so threw that in.  After that I added the ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, all the soy sauce and gave that a stir up.  Then I added enough water to cover all the meat.  

You were supposed to leave it simmering for 50 mins, then remove the pork and boil down the sauce to a sticky concoction - but I decided to leave the pork in and turn the heat up, which rendered the sauce down quicker than I expected, but I was very happy with the result.  

You were also supposed to add the spring onions at the sauce boiling off point, I failed to notice that and put them in when I added the chilli - so they kind of disintegrated - so don't make my mistake.  You need to keep some back anyway for sprinkling.  

I'd say that the pork could take a bit more heat, so I'd be tempted to use two chillies next time.