Thursday, 7 April 2011

Low(er) Fat Cheese Scones

I posted this one on my old blog way back in January 2011, as it was a popular recipe I thought I'd share it with you.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As part of Lynn's Scone Challenge I made a lower fat version of the Cheese Scones she made.


Ingredients

225g self raising flour
tsp baking powder
50g low fat marg
125g low fat cheese (grated)
tsp mustard
7 tbsp low fat plain yoghurt

Method

I threw the dry ingredients in a bowl then rubbed inn the marg to a breadcrumb like consistency.  Then stirred in the mustard and the cheese, and added the yoghurt last and mixed that in.

For me this was then a quite moist dough, so I floured my rolling pin heavily and the surface quite heavily so I could roll out.

We didn't have any cutters that I could find so I used a glass in place of them.  I popped my cut out circles of dough onto a baking tray, I wasn't sure of the nonstickness of the tray so I put mine on greaseproof paper. Because the low fat cheese I used was white cheese I added really small dollops of full fat Red Leicester cheese to give the tops some colour.

I popped them in the oven and left to cook for 15 mins.




We tried one about 4 seconds after they came out and found the middle to be a bit squidgy, but once they'd been left to cool properly they were spot on.  You could really taste the mustard in them, it really goes well with the cheese.



Excellent recipe Lynn, thank you!

Please check out the Scone Challenge post and have a go at doing some of your own!