Tuesday, 12 April 2011

My simpleton suppers - Tortellini in tomato & Philadelphia cheese sauce

I often struggle for time during the week, especially when I want to go to the gym, or out cycling, but know I have me and 2 others to feed, so I can't be keeping them waiting.

This evening I dashed to the gym after work for an hour and then dashed home.

I opted for one of the simplest of my simpleton suppers.


Tortellini in a tomato and Philadelphia cheese sauce, with chicken.



It's as simple as it sounds.  I cooked the chicken thighs in the oven for 25 mins, with some rosemary and thyme. When I was down to 8 mins left on the clock I added a tin of chopped tomatoes - with some boiled water poured half way up the empty can, swilled round then the remaining tomato juice from it adding to the pan, then a carton of passata, more rosemary, some salt and pepper to a big saucepan, then when that was heated through I added a sixth of a tub of Philadelphia Light, stirred it round and slowly brought up to the boil.  I added the tortellini to it and let the pasta warm through.

I served the chicken and the pasta in big pasta bowls, garnished with some fresh chives.

It was quick, it was simple, it was easy.

Yeah it didn't challenge me, but after a day of work and an hour in the gym, can we all honestly say we want to fanny about with our meals for hours?