Sunday, 22 May 2011

Nigel Slater's Ricotta Pancakes

I made this for R on Friday, as a bit of a fancy brunch rather than do a fry up.  It wasn't a great success but I'll share it anyway...

I made a slight variation on Nigel's recipe, because I couldn't be bothered with the orange zest, and used summer fruits rather than just raspberries.

You can find the original recipe here.

Ingredients:
250g ricotta cheese
4 tbsp caster sugar
3 eggs, yokes separated from whites
2 tbsp melted butter
50g plain flour
half a tub of frozen summer fruits



Method
I mixed the ricotta, sugar, egg yolks and melted butter in a bowl and then added in the flour - if R had a sieve I would have sieved it in, but he doesn't so I tried to add the flour as gently as I could!

I whisked the egg whites until stiff and then folded them into the rest of the mixture.  Lastly I added the fruit, carefully combining it to try and avoid knocking all the air out of the whites.

I fried little dollops of the mixture until brown, then unsuccessfully attempted to flip them over.  I literally only got one right.


Doesn't look very appealing does it!

I'd certainly have another go at doing these, probably with some lemon zest added to them and blueberries as the fruit.  R was very polite about them and said they were OK - I wasn't very impressed though - but they were my first attempt at it.

Has anyone else had a go at making these?  The recipe is one from the Kitchen Diaries book, a bedtime favourite of mine - does anyone else read recipe books before bed? I find them really calming!