Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Nigella's Potato and Mushroom Gratin

A few weeks ago there was a bit of debate on Twitter about if you should post recipes from books on your blog.  The Hummingbird Bakery were getting a wee bit fed up of people posting theirs - especially when they posted them incorrectly.  I have to agree with them that it is unfair for people to pay full price for the books, when others are googling the recipes and using them for free, but then recipes are there to be shared on the other hand...

I'm in two minds about if I should post recipes I use from recipe books - I use a lot of internet recipes, so I don't mind linking back to them.  I think while I'm undecided then I won't - but if you'd really like the recipe then you could always email me and I'll send you it!

So the recipe I used is from my Nigella Express recipe book, I have the hardback one that is currently £16 new or £6.99 used on Amazon, well worth the price of the used one in my opinion.  I did make a revision to it though, the recipe called for full-fat milk, I always prefer skimmed, so I also added a wee bit of cornflower mixed with some more milk to thicken it.  I added much more wine than the recipe stated too...  I'm not drinking at the moment, but I think that having it in food will be OK!



As you can see mine was a wee bit on the burnt side - but I like crispy bits!  I have to say that if I made this for a dinner party I'd use cream, or full fat milk, it was on the runny side really - but for a family of fatties the less cream the better at the moment!

What are your thoughts on posting recipes from books?

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I have no problem posting vagueish details about recipes from books, because the point of writing about them is to look at my own take on the recipe. I have gazillions of recipe books and all of them will influence how I cook.

    Also: most recipes that people use on a day-to-day basis are just variations on a theme anyway. HB can get stroppy if people are just writing out stuff from the books verbatim if they wish, but a cupcake is a cupcake is a cupcake, there's very little that's new in that world now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much always do my own variations of the recipes based upon what we have in the cupboards, or what I've forgotten to buy! The whole debate just made me stop and think about it all really.

    I am beginning to wonder if cupcakes have had their day though, I'm very sick of seeing them, I haven't had one recently that the cake part was nice on. I'd rather have a brownie than a "fur coat, no knickers" bun!

    I am tempted by the HBB book though, especially after seeing a tweet about chocolate muffins from it today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say no - it's a copyright issue (no reproducing it in any manner). If you adapt the recipe then I think it's ok though. What constitutes a change though? Changing 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)