Sunday, 12 June 2011

Not a good week for cooking...

I've been left to my own devices this week.  I really struggle to have the motivation to cook proper meals just for me, something I'm going to have to work on...

Monday I had a bad day at work, and truly did not care to cook.  I had a chicken risotto ready meal and some garlic bread.  It wasn't nice.  Shame on me for eating a ready meal...

On Tuesday I had a stir fry, trying out some of a bag of frozen stir fry veg with some added mushrooms, in a sweet chilli sauce.  It was OK.  Nothing wonderful.


On Wednesday I had chorizo fajitas - strange combination I know.  I used up half a pack of old el paso spice, and some tortillas that were lurking in the freezer, with some peppers and onions, and of course the chorizo.  It was pretty tasty, especially laden with cheese.

Thursday I really excelled myself cookingwise and ate scampi and 2 potato waffles, but I did bake some cookies and some ginger biscuits.  More to follow on them this week.

Friday I had Indian Fish Pie which I'd watched Simon Rimmer cook on Something for the Weekend.  On paper it sounds delicious, fish pie itself is lurverly, throw in some spice and it's got to be a winner, right?

Wrong.






It took me two portions to make a decision on if I liked it or not.  It's comforting, warm, has fish and potatoes and spinach... but then spicy and coconutty.  I didn't like it.  It didn't like me either....  I'm also annoyed at the cost of this dish, the coconut milk alone was £1.88!  It's certainly not a dish I can afford to make when I move out in three weeks.

Yesterday I was out late on an evening bike ride.  After having some booze during our half way stop I was ravenous when I got back, so threw a jacket potato in, grated up a whole lot of cheese and heated up a full tin of beans.  Yes, a full one.  Yes, I am a little piglet.

Today we're having lasagne for tea, I've already cooked the base for over an hour, that's sat waiting to go in an oven dish with my (shop bought) lasagne sheets, and topped with creme fraiche and low fat cheese.  I'm going to do some sweet potato wedges with it.

For pudding we're having this cake.


I think learning to cook for one again is really going to be a struggle for me.  I'm just not motivated to make nice meals just for me.