Friday, 1 July 2011

Clandestine Cake Club

Monday was the latest meet of Clandestine Cake Club.  I managed to go along this time, and was especially looking forward to this one being a bit different.  Cake Club meets Craft Club.









I came to club bearing a Golden Syrup and Ginger Cake, my second cake for club, the first one not doing well in the heat...

A few more cakes arrived after I took my pictures, but I was too busy digging in to the cake to take pictures. Crafting wise I made a flower decoration, which could have been attached to a hairclip, or used as a buttonhole, and I did some sewing!  (I have it in my craft box to complete after I move!).  There were lots of other crafts being done and everyone was really friendly and willing to show you what they were doing and let you have a go too, it was a really nice atmosphere.  I hope there's a cake/craft collaboration again in the future.

Golden Syrup and Ginger Cake
225g Self Raising Flour
110g caster sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarb
1 egg
200 ml skimmed milk
55g butter
110g golden syrup

Put your oven on to 150 and grease and line your loaf tin.

Sieve the flour, ground ginger, bicarb into a large bowl.

Melt the butter into the golden syrup on the hob over a low heat.  Remove from the heat when the butter is melted and set aside.

Beat the egg into the milk and pour this over the bowl of dry ingredients.

Add the butter/syrup mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.

Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and cook for 1 hour.

When the cake was slightly cooled I drizzled over more golden syrup and used the stickiness to stick my sugar pearls and silver balls to the top.  I used these as a nod to the theme being cake meets craft - the only crafting I'm good at is jewellery making, and they reminded me of the beads I use for that.



I used skimmed milk because that's what I had to hand - you could use semi or whole if preferred.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds gorgeous, thanks for the recipe! Will have to give it a go. I imagine it would be lovely warm with some vanilla ice-cream as well...drool... :-)

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and it would be DELICIOUS warm with icecream!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)