Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Friday night Chicken Curry


I had two chicken breasts to use up as part of our quest to empty the freezer ahead of emergency defrosting, and also a flatmate out at the pub who would need something tasty to soak up the booze....

As I'm still acquiring spices etc I was quite limited in what spices I had available for this....

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, chopped up
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 can coconut milk
1tsp cayenne pepper
juice of half a lemon
tbsp madras curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
tbsp water
tiny squirt of tomato puree

Method
I mixed the cayenne pepper, lemon juice, curry powder, ground coriander and water in a bowl and then added the chopped chicken pieces to it to marinate for an hour and half, giving the bowl a shake every so often.

After I'd given the chicken time to marinate I fried off the onions and garlic until the onions had some colour and were softened.  I poured in the marinated chicken, making sure any left over marinade went in the pan too and then cooked the chicken for about 10 minutes.

After the ten minutes was up I added the coconut milk, and seasoned with salt, and added a tiny squirt of tomato puree, then brought the curry to the boil and then left to simmer for a further 10 minutes.

I served with rice and some fresh coriander.



The curry was a perfect Friday night meal, especially with the wine I drank with it, and also while doing the cooking - I'm from the school of Keith Floyd cookery....


The only small revision I would make to this would be a tsp of Turmeric - I had to do without as I didn't have any, but the curry would definitely be improved with some.