Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Budget Salmon Fishcakes

In my quest to cut back, and be more of a spendthrift, I'm seeking out budget recipes.  Fishcakes are a favourite of mine but can work out to be quite expensive, particularly if using haddock.  I decided to give tinned fish a go, and opted for salmon.  I'm not sure if I fancy tinned tuna fishcakes...

If anyone has any recommendations of tasty, cheap meals I'd be grateful!

Ingredients
1 tin of salmon
1 large baking potato
chopped chives
salt
1 egg

Method
I baked the potato in the microwave (sin - but time efficient) and then mixed some salmon in a large bowl with the chives and the egg.  When the potato had cooked I mashed it and added it to the fish mixture.

I thought I had some breadcrumbs but don't, so I spooned the mixture onto a baking tray in two large helpings and then baked in the oven at 200 for 20 minutes.



I served it with some homemade potato salad and some salad leaves and tomatoes.



My verdict - not as nice as my usual thai fishcakes, or even the smoked cod fishcakes I made a few weeks ago.  I probably used too much potato, so would suggest maybe using two baking potatoes rather than one, or even better some leftover mash - who has leftover mash though??

They were a quick, tasty and cheap meal which is what I was wanting, so I'm happy with how they went.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure that St Delia advocates using tinned salmon in her fishcakes. There's a recipe on her website where I think she adds a dollop of mayo to moisten the mixture.

    One top tip my SIL gave me was to try going supermarket shopping on a Saturday afternoon - lots of places seem to discount stuff at that time to get rid of produce.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)