Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Smoked Haddock and Leek risotto

I'd been meaning to cook Smoked Haddock chowder when I got the fish at the supermarket, but it just didn't seem like a chowder kind of day - too much of a wintery dish I think.  So I googled a smoked haddock risotto recipe and up popped this one from BBC Good Food.




My version is slightly sloppier than theirs - never a good thing really, but I'll hold my hands up to adding too much stock, an easy mistake to make... It's actually only my second risotto I've made, although it's something I will order if eating out.  My Mum can't abide the texture of risotto, it's one of her food hates, which meant it wasn't something I cooked.

If I'm having a rice based dish I would rather have paella, mostly because it reminds me of my Grandparents out in Tenerife, but also because it's colourful.  My risotto here looks.... well, green.

I wasn't sure if I would like this risotto, I'm more of a prawn and pea risotto, or mushroom risotto kinda gal.  It was delicious though, gooey, moorish, comforting but without being heavy.   I used vegetable stock rather than chicken, because I wanted more of a fresh veggie flavour to come through, I did add a wee bit much cheese to serve... But I like cheese....


Do you have a favourite risotto?

6 comments:

  1. I love risotto. Weirdly my favourite is an old river cafe recipe - wild mushroom, sage and orange. Nicer than it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love smoked haddock risotto! I sometimes put a poached egg on top which makes it extra yummy - the yolk kind of mingles with the rice and increases the richness.

    Actually, I love risotto full stop. I've got a few on my blog - smoked salmon and spring onion and roasted tomato and ricotta are both very yummy. I also sometimes make baked risottos which are fab - and the texture tends to be a little drier and more paella like if you do it that way.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks perfect. Risotto is supposed to be runny - it should lie down on the dish, not stand up. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks bloody good to me and you can never have enough cheese...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think smoked Haddock risotto is always a winner, I agree with Seren that a runny poaches egg just tops it off. I like just a plain old mushroom risotto there is a good recipe for one on the BBC website

    ReplyDelete
  6. A poached egg would be very good on top - thanks for the tips ladies!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)