Saturday, 13 August 2011

Strawberry Buns

I'm not really a fan of cupcakes.  I find them to be "fur coat, no knickers" in the sense too much of a big deal is made about the decoration, and the cake (or bun as it should be known) is neglected.  I've never made cupcakes, although in years gone by I have made buns, sometimes decorating them, but generally not.  We were brought up on buns with sultanas in, so they were always sweet enough.

I recently bought some piping bags and nozzles, and then was given some as a housewarming present, so I was itching to try them out.

My first attempt at piping using a nozzle was a disaster - the piping bag exploded from having too much of my Viennese Finger mixture in... my second attempt - red icing wasn't successful really either...  I've learnt that melting the butter then trying to combine that with the icing sugar just won't work, it leaves the mixture too runny.  I tried putting the icing into the fridge to set for five minutes but it was still as runny.  Last time I made this error I kept adding more and more icing sugar - that didn't work either!

I ended up just letting the runny icing come through the piping bag onto the buns, and then adding my strawberries to the fully covered tops.






I think they still looked good!

6 comments:

  1. I actually know what you mean about cupcakes not being everything people say they are. But, I do think people still love them so I've been experimenting with different flavors and textures. My next recipe I'm posting is an olive oil zuke-ginger cupcake that I really love. Kind of like a cake, sconey sort of treat but totally tender. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, these look yummy!!

    Sadie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good. I think buns are better than cupcakes for flavour and taste though as i've found cupcakes can be really sickly with all the icing piled on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam (also from Wakefield) say cupcakes are "just an American word for buns with lots of icing!" which is deffo true. We call them fairy cakes where I'm from though, a bun is something with currants in it!

    These look cute, I love the cases.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - they are buns with lots of icing - and too much icing sometimes too!

    @Penny - a fairy cake for me was what we called butterfly buns! Not sure why we called them that though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more with your assessment of cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)