Sunday, 28 August 2011

Taste Sensations - Brie with Balsamic Strawberries

The other day I brightened up my boring commute with another random twitter conversation.  This time on random taste combinations, I'd tweeted about having a banana and some coronation chicken sandwich filler for breakfast - but not at the same time, and so started a conversation on strange things people do eat at the same time.

We had:


  • marmalade and cheese
  • cheese and mango chutney
  • banana, cheese and beans
  • blue cheese and banana
  • peanut butter and marmite
  • dairylea and jam
We also came to the conclusion that all sandwiches taste better with crisps in - but you didn't need me to tell you that, right.

One of the taste combinations that came up was brie with strawberries and balsamic vinegar.  My ears immediately pricked up for that one, and I was inspired to dash to the supermarket that night and pick some up to try it for myself...  I thought I had some actual balsamic vinegar, but I actually have balsamic dressing - but I went with it anyway...



I cut the tops off the strawberries and lay them to rest in their balsamic bath, while I cut the ciabatta and toasted it with the delicious brie on top.  I was impatiently peering through my oven door to see if it had melted enough to come out, as soon as it had I whipped it out and got my strawberries on top...

The verdict - I can see why Phil likes it, and I enjoyed the sharp, sweet tangyness of the strawberries against the smooth, creamy, gooey brie, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to have it again!!

What are your strange taste sensations?  I'd like to be inspired to try some more - although I draw the line and banana, cheese and beans, that's just a tad too strange for my tastebuds!