Saturday, 10 September 2011

Wine of the week - Glenridge Point Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

This is a section I've been meaning to bring out for ages, but I'm not overly confident with sharing my own opinion of wine, because I've never actually been wine tasting.  I just drink a lot of the stuff, and have formulated my own opinion of what I like and don't like....I'll fully admit I can't always pick out the flavours the bottle suggests I should.  Or the smells.  I have books about wine, but I've never dared to go wine tasting, because I'm worried I won't be able to pick out the flavours everyone else can and will look uncultured and stupid.


(I worry constantly that I look uncultured and stupid).


But I know what I like from wine, and I am going to share that with you....  I'd love it if people would let me know if they agree/disagree or share if they think I should try a particular wine.


I love wine.  I drink red in winter and white in summer.  I drink rose if needs must and there's absolutely nothing else to drink.  I'd probably have a soft drink than have to drink rosé.  In my opinion (feel free to disagree) people who only drink rosé don't actually like wine.


So my wine of this week is:






This wine is currently half price at Sainsburys at £5.99.


I've had a cold this week, so my wine flavour picking out is worse than normal... I'm not going to even try, but it tasted flavourful and sweet - but not too sweet - this is possibly the sweetest I can go, I'm a dry white fanatic.  It went pretty well with my lettuce soup, although I drank the majority of it afterwards.  Does any wine go with soup? Can wine complement another liquid?  


I picked this wine because it was half price.  The wine snobs will have given up with this blog post already, so if you're still reading I know you won't mind me admitting that...


I generally pick wine mostly on the whim of my mood and the basis of the season - sometimes in winter I'll really fancy a white, likewise in summer with red - of what I'm eating and the price of the wine.  I try my hardest not to buy the big mass producers (blossom hill etc) and if I'm buying white then I never buy chardonnay.  


I detest chardonnay.


Price is a big factor for me, because I don't have an unlimited budget.  I try to always spend a minimum £6, although it's not unusual to see me with some £4 wine if times are hard....


I have some wine sin confessions, but I think I'll wait until a later post to confess those...



8 comments:

  1. If you're uncultured then I'm right there with you!!

    My criteria for choosing wine is if it was once £10 and is now half price. I like rose. And I am a fan of cheap pub wine that costs £5.

    I am a terrible vodka snob though so that must make up for it somehow....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wine and have been on a few wine tasting courses but I DETEST wine snobs. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes!

    Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough is a favourite of mine. I'd recommend Wither Hills SB very highly - not sure how much it is but it is very yummy.

    Looking forward to seeing more posts like this (and v curious to know your wine sins...)

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couldn't agree any more- people who drink rose don't actually like wine. They like it because it's pink and it's sweet, and tastes nothing like actual wine. working in bars, i could spot a rose drinker a mile off. It used to grind on me something chronic. its just the word rose, equally offensive when said in a common northern or southern accent. can't stand the stuff. Marlborough Savvy B on the other hand...... i could drink that stuff for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bottle of the stuff in my bag now and will be enjoying it tonight with a fancy macaroni cheese and garden salad. Amateur review to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh macaroni cheese, I could just eat some :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just finished - sadly! - my one-and-only bottle of Glenridge Point Sauvignon Blanc and I thought it was so good that I went looking on Google to find out where I could get more. (That's how I ended up here!) It appears that only Sainsbury's (of the Big Guys) stock it - at &10.99 a bottle. I must have bought mine as a one-off on a special offer, never having tried it before. Now I'm off to Sainsbury's again to see if they've got any more giveaways. I'll certainly be getting more than one this time. Like a good many more, I'm no 'wine snob'; I just know what I like, and I LOVED this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't usually go shopping in Sainsburys but if passing can't resist to see if they have this on offer in their half price selection and stock up with half a dozen bottles. For me it is up there with Brancott reserve in SB's.
    Tasty to my uncultured palette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't normally shop at sainsburys but can't resist going in if passing to see if they have them on 2 for 1 and stock up as it is up there with Brancott reserve for my palette.
    Tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)