Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Silver Spoon Decorations

I was sent these to review and couldn't resist getting started straight away.


I was sent strawberry buttons, easy melt dark chocolate cake covering, vanilla extract, giant sprinkle covered discs and some lilac food colouring.

I decided to make some vanilla buns and decorate them with a wee bit of lilac icing and some of the sprinkle discs.


I used my usual bero book recipe:

100g SR flour
100g marg
100g caster sugar
2 eggs 

Blending the sugar and the marg then adding an egg with a little flour, then the remaining flour, and lastly adding one sachet of vanilla paste.





I spooned the mixture into the bun cases and baked in the oven for 15 mins.



I was given some decorating bits from my Aunty so got those out to whip up some icing.




I followed the instructions and added in six drops of the food colouring to my icing, which resulted in lilac.


That wasn't enough for me though, so I added a lot more to get this lovely purple shade.


I poured the mixture into a piping bag and added some very poor icing swirls to the top of my buns.  I didn't want to do cupcakes so didn't want to cover the whole bun.  I find them too much about the icing, and a little sickly at times, so I wanted just a smidgen of icing.




I went for a few different effects with the discs, leaving one whole, splitting some in half and then the rest into quarters.



What can be better than a bun and a cup of tea?


I loved the decorating bits that I was sent to review, I can't wait for a free weekend to bake something to use the cake covering and pink buttons.

I'd definitely buy all the products again, particularly the purple food colouring.

Thank you Baking Mad for sending me these to review.