Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Spaghetti Bolognese

Everybody has their own take on a spag bol. Here's mine...

Ingredients
500 lean steak mince
1 onion
2 carrots
2 cloves of garlic (or a good squeeze of the tube)
1 tin tomatoes
1 carton passata
smidgen of tomato paste
mushrooms
mixed herbs
salt & pepper

Method
Chop the onion, if you're using fresh garlic then peel and crush the cloves.  Fry the onions with the garlic. When they've softened add the mince. While the mince is browning peel and chop the carrots and then add to the pan.  Add the tinned tomatoes to the pan and allow them to cook off.  While that's happening chop the mushrooms.



Ideally use a bigger pan than I did....

When the liquid from the tomatoes has cooked down a bit add in the mushrooms and the passata, then lastly the puree and some herbs, and finally some salt and black pepper.  I tend to use dried mixed herbs, and then if I have it I serve with fresh basil.

I let my bolognese cook for as long as I can, the longer it cooks the better the flavour I find.




Sometimes I crumble a beef oxo over it, to add more depth.  If I haven't used carrots then I sometimes add some Worcestershire sauce to sweeten it.

Now I know some people brown their mince then remove it and cook the onions, but I can't usually be bothered with doing that.

How do you do your bolognese?

3 comments:

  1. I do it your way, although I'm more likely once the mince has browned to add all the veg in together. I sometimes add balsamic vinegar, again for depth of flavour. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also can't usually be bothered browning the mince separately from the onions, so do it the same way as you. I often chuck in some fresh herbs too, rosemary is good (I have shedloads of it growing in my garden).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that's like mine, but I usually add half a glass of red wine OR a tablespoon of double cream, depending on which I have on hand - and always a bit of oregano. It's one of the few herbs that's as good (if not better) dry - but it's really strong so be careful.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)