Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Yorkshire Wine School - wine tasting evening

I wrote a while back about Yorkshire Wine School, yesterday evening I was invited along to one of their wine tastings.




As much as I love wine I've never been to a wine tasting before.  I've always been a bit scared it would be full of wine snobs and I'd look stupid for being a novice.

That wasn't the case.  We were a mixed bag, some wine snobs, some wine lovers and some novices.

I don't want to tell people too much about the event itself, because that would spoil it for people going themselves, so I'll tell you about the lovely wines I sampled and not give you any of the tips/info to go along with it.  I made notes all the way through - I need a wine folder!

We sampled six wines; one champagne, two white wines and three red wines.  I can safely say I learnt more about wine in the two hours I was there than I've ever gleaned from leafing through wine books over the years and all the bottles of wine I've drunk...

Listening to Laura was so inspiring, I love meeting people who are so passionate and knowledgeable about a subject.




The first wine we tried was the champagne, which we had paired with smoked salmon.


I love champagne, this was my favourite of all the whites, and I was impressed it was a bottle I could afford - Heidsieck 'Gold Top' 2005, £18 from Majestic.


Next up we had a Riesling, a wine my friend Chrissie would adore, but one I wouldn't normally pick.  Drinking it with the prawn brought out the acidity of the wine, which made it a bit more enjoyable for me.

The other white was a Pouilly Fuisse, again one I wouldn't normally pick with it being of the Chardonnay variety - but it was actually enjoyable.

Moving onto the reds we had a Moulin D'Angludet, which was lovely, but way out of my normal price range at £30 a bottle.  We had this with some sausage, I could tell you why but you should go along and find out for yourself!

The second red was my favourite, the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, an Italian wine - this one being from the village of Montepulciano, not using the grape.  We had this with parmeasan, which made the cheese taste out of this world, it gave it a wonderful creamy taste.  I'll be popping down to Latitude Wines in Leeds to pick up a bottle of this for my Dad to try!


The last wine was a Cabernet Sauvignon from the Napa Valley in California.  Priced at £21.59 it's not one I'd buy for myself, but it was enjoyable and had an immense fruity flavour.  We had this paired up with a slice of chorizo.




I had a superb time at the evening, and will be booking one of the Introduction to wine courses, possibly the February one so I'm back from holiday.  You can find out about the courses here http://www.yorkshirewineschool.com/catlist.php?cat=2

There's 4 places left on the Champagne tasting evening, I reckon that one would be an excellent evening.

Laura was a wonderful wine tutor, put us all at ease and answered every question thrown at her with ease.  I'd definitely recommend going to a wine tasting event with her.

Thank you Laura for inviting me last night, I look forward to seeing you again soon!