Thursday, 29 December 2011

Comfort food - Creamy Vegetable Soup

It's no secret that I love soup, I'd have it 4 out of 7 days if I could.  I really fancied some vegetables and something healthy for tea on Monday night, but when I saw we had double cream patiently waiting to be used up I couldn't resist splashing some in.  Then I saw the Stilton....


Ingredients
8 small potatoes, skins left on, chopped into quarters
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 small red onion
1 medium brown onion
garlic
florets of broccoli
2 pints of vegetable stock
dollop of double cream
sprigs of thyme
fresh parsley

Method
Chop the onions and potatoes while some vegetable oil warms in a large pan, when the oil is hot enough add some garlic (as much as you like in soup - we have some ready chopped in a jar, I added half a teaspoon).  Leave the onions and potatoes to cook while you cut off some florets of broccoli and make up the vegetable stock.



When the onions are cooked add the stock and the herbs, season and then throw the pan lid on and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.

I dithered over if I should have a chunky or smooth soup, but in the end went for smooth, so when the vegetables were cooked I blended the soup until smooth using a hand blender.

I added the cream in and let it gently warm into the soup while I organised the bowls and some Stilton for me.


I was generous with my Stilton portion.... you could use more restraint than I have when adding yours....

This soup was delicious and just what I wanted for a cold, wet and windy Monday evening.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I love making soup, so easy to do. I make a batch and portion it and freeze it for Seb, he loves it! x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)