Thursday, 5 January 2012

Dukan Diet - Day 2

I was a bit too smug yesterday about finding this diet easy so far.  Today was hard.  I think day 2 is hard for everyone though.

As I'm at my laptop this evening I'll tell you a bit more about Dukan.

In a nutshell it's a crazy protein diet made up by a mad french dude called Dr Dukan.  It's done over four stages.  Attack, Cruise, Consolidation and Stabilsation.

During the Attack phase of the diet you only eat protein.  I went on the Dukan website and that told me I should do it for six days.  I'm doing it for five, and if I can stretch to it then I'll do it for seven.  This Attack shakes up your body and starts the reduction of water weight.  You HAVE to drink over 1.5 Litres of water a day, to keep your kidneys flushing the water through, and the other non-negotiable is 20 minutes of walking per day.

Foods you can eat during this stage are:

  • Lean beef, veal, rabbit
  • 1.5 tbsp of oatbran per day
  • Chicken and Turkey - no skin
  • Liver
  • Fish - no sauces, not canned in oil
  • shellfish
  • 2 eggs per day
  • dairy under 5% fat - eg cottage cheese, quark, fromage frais
  • herbs
  • spices
  • vinegars
  • lemon juice
  • garlic
  • skimmed milk
  • tea, coffee and 0 calorie soft drinks
The next phase is Cruise on this you alternate protein days with protein + specific vegetables.  You do this until you get down to your target weight.  Exercise is increased to 30 minutes per day at this stage. If weight stops decreasing then the walk is increased to 60 mins per day.

Vegetables you can add to the allowed foods are:
  • asparagus
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • cucumber
  • celery
  • leek
  • onion
  • aubergine
  • courgette
  • peppers
  • tomatoes
  • mushrooms
  • french beans
  • cabbage
  • salad leaves
  • radishes
  • 2 tbsp of oatbran per day
When you have reached target weight the next step along the way is Consolidation. At this section of the journey you continue with the foods as above for five days for each pound you've lost to get to your target weight, but are allowed to add:
  • 2 slices wholegrain bread per day
  • 40g cheese per day
  • 1 portion of fruit per day
  • 2 portions of starchy products per week (not potatoes or white rice)
  • 2 celebration meals a week, when ANYTHING can be eaten
One day of pure protein must be adhered to each week and 25 minutes of walking per day.

When you've come through to the end of Consolidation the final stage is Stabilsation. This stage lasts the rest of your life.  The main rules that need to be complied with are still keeping to one day of pure protein per week, keeping up with good habits that have been formed during the process, exercising and eating three tbsp of oatbran per day.   For the rest of the time you can eat a normal diet.

That, in a nutshell, is Dukan.

So, today - the book tells me the first few days are the worst.  Dr Dukan's patronising chapters don't explain the sheer agony of going to the supermarket though.  I could have done with some kind of magic to make all the foods I can't eat (95% of the supermarket) disappear and just leave the meat and low fat dairy.

I've had headache today and feel generally tired and miserable.  I haven't weighed myself, although the book recommends to do every day.  I know that if I haven't lost anything my resolve will disintegrate and I'll eat something carbalicious. 

I've eaten:

Breakfast - 1 hardboiled egg

Lunch      - cottage cheese, turkey pieces, crabsticks

Snacks    - crabsticks

Tea         - two 95% meat beefburgers, dollop of quark, garlic prawns, gherkins, 1 boiled egg  (gherkins are allowed as an accompaniment, but not if you eat so many they could be misinterpreted for a vegetable portion).

Drinks     - 2 x tea with skimmed milk, 1 black coffee, 2 little bottles of diet coke, 1 glass of coke, 75cl bottle of water.  If I've read the book correctly then the pop and tea/coffee count in my water intake.


I think I may have gone wild with the gherkins, Dr Dukan wouldn't be impressed

My mouth is dry, I have headache and I'm miserable.  The only things keeping me remotely happy are Phil and these:


We bought some of this Oat Bran stuff at the supermarket, it looks like superfine porridge oats.  Supposedly you can make a pancake out of it.  I'll be giving that a try tomorrow evening I think!

7 comments:

  1. My colleague used to do the Dukan diet and she made those pancakes - they looked okay actually x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are so so sooo pretty! One of my colleagues is doing the Dukan diet and has lost 4stone in 4 months. She had the same problems with shopping though and now orders it all online to avoid temptation! Good luck with it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for getting to day 2! From my memory of the book Dukan describes gherkins as a condiment so ideally you should only have about a slice. Also don't forget the oat bran it's very important for ensuring you get some fibre - it's also good for giving you more options I used to make salmon quiches on my protein only days using oat bran as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek, you're not even allowed vegetables?! That's mental. Are you taking any supplements to keep up your vitamin intake? Could be why you're not feeling so good
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im on day 2 also. I had 2 eggs and 1 cup of tea w/nonfat milk, tuna with some fat free yogurt and some imitation crab legs. Can I use meatloaf mix *ground beef, pork and veal to make a meatloaf?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on day 4 of my journey and so far I love my results! I haven't weighted myself yet today; however, as of yesterday I lost 4 lbs in 2 days! I can't weight to step on the scale again today. I would strongly suggest jumping on the scale because it will motivate you to keep going. I've been drinking mineral water and taking a multi vit to help with the nutrients I'm missing out on from no vegetable consumption - I truly can't wait till Monday when I can eat salad again! :)

    FYI: The chicken with mustard recipe is so yummy!

    PS: It does get easier after the second day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost another 2 pounds for a complete of 4 pounds in two days. Now, I must admit that I walked on the scale four times because it study 197.4 then 198.6 so this plus or minus in the reading has been over decided by my desire to believe that I am 197.4.

    Fitness Maitland

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)