Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Spicy Turkey Mince


Today is another PP day for me, and day 2 of Cruise Phase.  I meandered aimlessly round the supermarket earlier, not really sure what I wanted to eat, but eventually picked up turkey mince and extra light soft cheese with onions and chives. I grabbed some shallots and decided to make a plain mince dish, like mince and tatties (sans tatties).

I started cooking but then was drawn to the spice rack and couldn't resist adding things in.

Ingredients
Turkey mince
2 beef oxo cubes
250ml boiling water
1/4 tsp marmite
2 shallots finely chopped
garlic
few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
chilli flakes
paprika
dried coriander

Original ingredients, before spice attack

Method
Peel and chop the shallots finely, add these with a squeeze of garlic puree and the dried chilli to a pan oiled with a spray of frylight.  Let the onions cook and then add the mince.

When the minced is browned add one of the oxo cubes, crumble over and mix in.  Boil some water and dissolve the other oxo cube in 200ml of water.  Add the marmite to the stock and stir to mix in.

Leave to cook for as long as possible so the turkey is tender, I added an extra 50ml of water after some had evaporated.

I added some paprika when serving, awarded myself a dollop of the extra light soft cheese and garnished with the coriander.


Cruise - Day 2 - PP day
  • Breakfast - 1 small ginger oatbran biscuit (my porridge exploded...)
  • Lunch - Tikka turkey pieces mixed with quark, one slice of gherkin and 3 pickled onions
  • Snacks - 2 slices of turkey
  • Tea - Spicy Turkey Mince
  • Drinks - 1L water, 3xcups of tea, 1 pint diet coke, 1 options hot chocolate.  More water to drink before bed.