Saturday, 23 June 2012

Breakfast Bran Buns

I adapted this recipe from my Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days book after being inspired by Lauren seeing she was making the Breakfast Bran Muffins.

I don't have a muffin tin, it must have been left behind at one of my many moves because I know I have had one at some point over the years... So I made buns.

As this isn't the proper Hummingbird recipe I hope they won't mind me giving out my version of it.  If you don't have the Cake Days book I really would recommend it - I'll be making their Apple Strudel Cake for my first event as organiser of York Clandestine Cake Club!

Ingredients
280g wholemeal flour (the one I found in supermarket is self raising, so I used less baking powder)
50g porridge oats
50g bran flakes
20g sultanas
20g dried cranberries
20g sunflower seeds
1 heaped tsp baking powder
60g soft light brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
250ml semi skimmed milk
2 eggs
85g stork, melted

Method


Oven on to 180 and bun cases placed in bun tin.
Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl, then add the honey and combine with dry ingredients.
Pour the milk into a jug then crack the eggs into it and mix together well.
Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in milk and egg mix.  Combine well.  
Add the melted butter last and coat all mix with it.
Scoop spoonfuls into the bun cases and then bake for about 22 mins (or less if your oven is fan).





I really liked these buns, but they'd definitely be better as muffins - but the fact they're smaller is letting me use the excuse to eat two at once.  They're definitely filling and I absolutely love the cranberries in them.

1 comment:

  1. Dan lepard does an excellent breakfast muffin similar to these with weetabix, yours look very tasty

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)