Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Malta - sugarless cake

I was able to kill two birds with one stone with this cake. Malta was chosen by club members to be my country for my Oly***c themed York Clandestine Cake club meeting, and I also had it allocated in Ewan's draw.

I scoured the Internet for recipes and was taken with this one - http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/13523/Sugarless_cake_with_apricots_dates_and_almonds/search/true using no sugar or dairy! Just flour, ground almonds, chopped dried fruit, zest and apple juice.

I swapped lemon zest for orange zest, having 2 gorgeous smelling organic oranges delivered as part of my Yorkshire Farm shop delivery. The first attempt I used the zest of the full orange- it really over powered everything else, so in this attempt I used just half.

I opted to attempt to recreate the Maltese flag in my second attempt, but couldn't resist adding some malteasers...

Research tells me Maltese food is very much "peasant" food, possibly the reason for not adding any sugar and dairy to this cake. It really works though, I'd definitely make it again.