Sunday, 1 July 2012

Rainbow Tray Bake



On Friday night I threw wild abandon to the wind and was set loose on food colouring.  With almost disastrous consequences.  See those black blobs - that was meant to be purple, and that strange shade of red - that was meant to be orange...  I got carried away with the gel colouring, despite Phil trying to confiscate the bottles from my grasp.

The finished article wasn't the most professionally decorated (I don't think I'll ever have the patience to decorate well) but it was decorated from the heart.

Ingredients:
200g flour
200g caster sugar
200g stork margarine
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Gel food colouring

Icing:
300g icing sugar
150g marg
Lots of Sprinkles

Method:
Oven on to 180, grease a disposable tray.
I made this cake as you would a normal sponge, creaming the butter and sugar together, sifting in the flour with each egg, adding the vanilla extract.  I then split the mixture between six bowls and added the colours.  Next time I make anything with colouring I'll let Phil pour it in, I cannot be trusted with colouring.  We then dolloped a spoonful of each mix into the tray and popped into the oven for 40 mins.  A better cooker might cook this quicker, but ours seems to take twice as long as all other cookers.

When the cake was cooked I left it to cool and then we started the buttercream icing.  Phil cut out the stencil to use for the letters and heart while I mixed the buttercream and spread it on the cake, and then held it over the cake while I gingerly sprinkled the sprinkles over.
The finished result... rustic I'd call it.