Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Slow Cooker Beef Bourgingon

I make no secret of the fact I love our slow cooker, especially for Sundays.  Beef Bourgingon is one of my favourite things to make in the slow cooker, such an easy meal.  I know I should use some lovely little shallots but half a red onion was all I had in the fridge!

Ingredients
Diced casserole beef
Finely chopped half red onion
Mushrooms
1/2 pint beef stock
1 small bottle red wine
Thyme
Garlic
Squeeze of tomato puree
Plain flour (for coating)

Method
Setting my slow cooker to high to warm up I then coated the beef in the plain flour then seared the meat in a casserole pan, browning it off nicely, then removed the meat from the pan setting it aside in a bowl.  I then fried off the onions with some garlic, adding the bottle of red wine to de-glaze the pan and lift off some of the meat juices that had got congealed at the bottom.

I added a few of the mushrooms and then all the stock, the herbs and the squeeze of tomato puree and brought the liquid to the boil, then reduced the heat, after letting it start to bubble I threw the meat and collected juices back in the pan and let that simmer away until the sauce had started to thicken.

I then poured that into my slow cooker, turning it down to low and cooked for 6 hours.  I then added the remaining mushrooms for the last hour while I cooked up some cauliflower cheese and mashed potato to go with our meal.

The result - a little plate of heaven, tender, melt in your mouth meat and a sauce packed with flavour.  Just missing a wee bit of greenery I think, some lightly cooked green beans would have set this off perfectly.