Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Carrot Chutney version 2

In an attempt to make the perfect carrot chutney for Christmas I tried to iron out the mistakes I made last time.  I used a finer grater, and halved the amount of vinegar.  Then used caster sugar rather than the brown sugar - so it at least stayed orange this time, rather than muddy brown.

Ingredients
500g carrots, peeled and grated
 1 medium onion, chopped very finely
2 bay leaves
200g caster sugar
100ml white balsamic vinegar
200ml boiling water

Method
I peeled and grated the carrots, and then peeled and finely chopped the onion.  I popped the onion and the carrot in the pan to sauté, in a small amount of olive oil.  When the veg had cooked for 20 mins I added the bay leaves, the sugar, vinegar and boiling water.



I let that all cook off, until the mixture was sticky, and no liquid spilt out when I ran a spoon through.

The result was a stickier less vinegary version than last time - but it's very, very sweet.  Tasted pretty good with some cheese though!


1 comment:

  1. Rachel, thanks for linking this up with Food on Friday - would never have thought of carrot chutney! Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments :)