Thursday, 18 October 2012

Sweet Potato Curry


I adore sweet potato, I could eat it most meals.  One of my favourite quick curries is sweet potato and pea, which during the week when I'm working I'll use a curry paste for - but if I have the time I'll do it from scratch. I did have one lazy bit to this though - I used lazy chilli, so I didn't have to chop one up!  Phil heated this up for me and forgot to add the peas, so this is a pea-less version.

Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes
4 small potatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
tbsp turmeric
tsp cumin seeds
tsp ground cumin
tsp ground coriander
squeeze of lazy chilli
squeeze of garlic puree
coconut milk
half pint vegetable stock
corn flour

Method
Chop the onion finely while the cumin seeds are heating in some oil in a large pan.  When they start to sizzle add the onion, the garlic and the chilli.  Let those cook off while you peel and chop the sweet and normal potatoes.  Add the spices to the onions and coat them well, then add the potatoes to the pan and let them cook off for a couple of minutes while you make up the vegetable stock.  Pour the stock in and then cook the potatoes for 20 minutes until they're soft.  Add the coconut milk for the last five minutes of the potatoes cooking, and if the curry needs thickening add some cornflour to thicken.  I would normally add peas for the last couple of minutes, and if I have it, serve with fresh coriander.  We had this with a naan bread, I love dipping in the sauce.

1 comment:

I love getting comments :)