Saturday, 2 February 2013

GBBO Chocolate Truffle Cake

I finally got round to doing some baking last weekend, so opened up my Great British Bake Off Showstoppers book for some inspiration.  



Knowing I was catering for a house full of chocolate lovers the Chocolate Truffle Cake stood out as the best one to bake.  It could also be an option of a cake suitable for my next Clandestine Cake Club event on Tuesday 12th Feb - what could be more fitting for a valentines theme than a sumptuous chocolate cake?

We headed out in the snow to pick up the ingredients we didn't already have in.  Just as we were about to get to the tills, with our basket laden with bars of 72% dark chocolate, I spotted my Slimming World consultant!  I don't think she saw me, but I hid anyway and then scurried to the tills before she could spot the naughty contents of my basket...

We trudged back through the snow and I set about making the cake - only to find that I'd misread the recipe and was a bar of chocolate short for the recipe.  I substituted 50g of flour for 50g cocoa to make up for the lack of chocolate.  That's the only revision I made to the recipe of the cake itself - very restrained for me, I usually tweak with three or four changes.  The recipe was easy to follow, but I have to admit that Phil sliced it in two for me - I'm hopeless at cutting things!

When it came to decorating the cake I didn't have rose petals as the book suggested, so opened up my baking cupboard for inspiration.  Out popped the popping candy (how fitting).  I've been meaning to use it for a while.  I think it brightens the cake up nicely. 


The cake tasted lovely, and definitely improved after a couple of days.  But was far too rich to eat much of - but then I can't eat much cake while on slimming world anyway, so this was perfect to have a small slither of and still feel like I was getting that sugary, chocolatey cake rush.





Do you have a favourite recipe from the GBBO Showstopper book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments :)