Sunday, 3 January 2016

Turkey in creamy, white wine sauce

Firstly - Happy New Year!  One of my resolutions is to do more with this blog, and to stop being frightened of cooking things that aren't slimming world friendly all the time.

For our Christmas dinner meat we bought a turkey crown, big enough to feed 4-8, for the 6 of us.  We had our Christmas Dinner on the 27th, but a smaller version than normal - just turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, parsnips, carrots, mash and gravy.  I only served up half of turkey, and then we lived off turkey sandwiches for a few days - but despite all those sandwiches we still had a large amount left.

I forgot to buy coconut milk, so couldn't do our customary turkey curry - so I came up with this instead.

Ingredients
Leftover cooked turkey
2 large mushrooms
1 large carrot
garlic puree
1 small glass of white wine
half pint chicken stock
100g butter
100g plain flour
1 pint full fat milk
dried herbs to season (I used thyme and parsley)

Method
After scouring our fridge for veg that needed using up I decided to chop up 2 large flat mushrooms, we'd had two the previous evening stuffed with cheese - yum, and peeled and chopped a carrot.

I roughly chopped the leftover turkey into smaller portions, then chucked that into a large pan to saute on a high heat along with the carrot and mushroom, and a tiny squeeze of garlic puree. I left that to cook for a few minutes to absorb the garlic, and then added the glass of white wine.  While the alcohol was burning off I made up the stock then poured it in, and turned down the heat.  Whilst that was simmering I made up the white sauce.  Melting the butter, then adding the flour, stirring well until the butter absorbed in, then cooking off for a few minutes.  Finally adding the milk in small bursts, stirring like crazy to avoid lumps.  When all the milk was added I left it to simmer gently and searched the cupboards for suitable dried herbs to add to the main pot, keeping an eye on the white sauce, to not boil or become too thick.  When the sauce had thickened enough - enough to give a resistance when stirred, but not so much you can't get your spoon through - I then added that into the main pot.

And that's it - obviously for people not catering for small children then salt and pepper can be added.

We ate ours with rice, and it was delicious.