Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Mercers of Yorkshire



As a BBC Good Food Show blogger we're to be sent a product each month, from one of the shows contributors.

January's products were from Mercers of Yorkshire, this is a brand I followed on Twitter, but had yet to sample anything from.

We were sent the caramelised red onion marmalade, and the lemon curd.  I'm a huge chutney fan, so couldn't wait to tuck into the onion marmalade, but lemon curd isn't something I would often pick.

So far I've had the chutney with cold meats, in a chip butty and stirred a tablespoon of it into the sausage and chickpea stew I made last week - it's safe to say I like it - a lot. The texture is pleasing, chunky but not too chunky, a good balance of sweet and tangy vinegar, and a great colour. It was gorgeous on my chip butty - why have I never tried chutney on chips before? Comfort heaven.

The lemon curd I've been more conservative with, I've had it on trumpets, and used it to make a lemon curd cake. I found it to have a mellow lemon taste, with lemon curd I always expect something super tangy, but this is more refined. Not too sugary too, which is a plus for me.


Sausage and chickpea stew
6 decent sausages - I get mine from Wards butchers in Tadcaster
Quarter of a packet of dried chickpeas (or a tin of chickpeas)
1 large carrot, diced
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
200ml beef stock
1 carton passata
1 tbsp Mercers red onion marmalade
Squidge of garlic pureé
Squidge of tomato pureé
Sprinkling of dried parsley

Method
Soak the chickpeas as per the instructions on your packet.

Cook the sausages in the oven, then chop into chunks and put to one side for later.

Spray a large pan with fry lite, add the squidge of garlic, then tip in the carrots and celery. Let this cook for five minutes.

Make up the stock - add a tablespoon of the onion marmalade, stir well to combine it with the stock.  Pour over the vegetables.

Add the chickpeas, the passata and tomato pureé. Season to taste - if you wish and cook until the chickpeas are tender.

Include the sausages into the pan, cook for a few minutes longer. Sprinkle over the dried parsley.

Serve.



This made the most delicious sweet yet tangy and flavoursome stew. The chutney really lifted a plain tomato sauce and made it something wonderful.

I've enjoyed trying both products, and will definitely purchase more of the red onion marmalade. I'll also be on the look out for their beer chutney, my mouth is watering just thinking about having some of that with some delicious cheese!